Whew! I can't believe how much work it was to coordinate the software release of the library and hardware release of the boards together. There was documentation flying all over the place, furious coding, testing on multiple OSes, screenshots, long photography sessions, and somewhere in there, hardware and software testing. I'm glad I did it though because I've been wanting to release a new version of the Freakduino for a long time. Seriously, I've been wanting to do it since 2011, but a series of events changed my whole life. Ha ha ha...

With the latest release of chibiArduino, it's probably best to have a short tutorial on installing things. The library installation is a standard library installation, however I've gotten a lot of questions in the past about library installation. I figure it's probably best to take care of it in this tutorial. Also, there's an additional component which is optional if you're using the Freakduino, but you're really going to want if you're using one of the other boards I'll be releasing soon or rolling your own board. This is a boards.txt file which is a board description file. Inside the board description, it's possible to set #defines that allow the chibiArduino stack to identify the type of board being used and adapt itself accordingly. This allows the chibiArduino stack to be more flexible in accomodating different board configurations without having to involve the user in too much other than the board selection menu.

So let's get this tutorial underway...

Assembling the Freakduino v2.1a is almost completely the same as assembling the original Freakduino v1.1 version with the exception of one extra jumper. In this tutorial, we'll be walking through the assembly of the Freakduino v2.1a partial kit version. Familiarity with soldering is assumed along with a soldering iron, solder, and flush wire cutters. A nail clipper could be substituted for the flush cutters as well.

So, let's get started...

Whew! Just got back from vacation in the US visiting family and also getting the chance to see the Bay Area Maker Faire for the first time. Actually, it was my first Maker Faire outside of Japan and it blew my mind. The scale of the projects were just on a different level compared to Maker Faire Japan. Projects in Japan are much smaller, mostly because we can’t fit three story fire breathing, steel dragons inside our tiny cramped apartments.

I was on the train coming back from the airport last night when I saw an interesting article at Make Magazine called Why the Maker Movement is Here to Stay. The author, Ken Denmead, discusses an article written on the tech blogging site gigaOm about Sparkfun. Actually, the gigaOm article starts out being about Sparkfun, but towards the end, the author generalizes Sparkfun’s business and business model into the recent surge in popularity of the maker movement. To be honest, I probably wouldn't have thought too deeply about that article except that Ken made some interesting points that got me thinking. In the latter part of the gigaOm article, the author makes an effort to end on a thought provoking note:

"To me, and for others watching the maker movement unfold, SparkFun is a chance to answer what is an important question. How big can the maker movement get?"

Hi everyone.
The FreakLabs store will be on holiday from 05/15/2013 to 06/03/2013 and the shopping cart will be disabled. I'll be traveling to the US to attend Maker Faire and also visit family and friends. I'm really excited since it will be my first Maker Faire and also a welcome holiday for me. Looking forward to the recharge and hopefully to get some new ideas for interesting projects:)
I've had my Casio G-Shock for about 8 years now. In that time, it's run out of batteries on me a few times. The first time, I spoke with a shop and they said they had to send it in to Casio to have the battery replaced. The cost would be around $70 and take about two weeks. I then asked if I could replace it myself and they said it was impossible. I checked on the internet and the batteries are CTL1616 rechargeable Lithium Ion watch batteries. At the time, they were impossible to buy online so the only option was to send it in to Casio. Now, you can get them on eBay and Amazon, but they cost $15/each.

With the workshop closed out, the next two days were reserved for deployment and installation of the sensor nodes. The night before, I had modified the code the participants were using to harden it a bit for an actual deployment. The main thing I added in was a watchdog timer and protection against a few failure scenarios. The main ones I was concerned about were if the software hangs, if it fails to get an IP address, and if it fails to get a connection. I added in an 8 second watchdog timeout for code hangs and also would trigger a reset if the device failed to get an IP address or had a connection failure three consecutive times.

That morning, I had a short meeting with everyone to brief them on what the code changes were and how the deployment would go. I explained the changes I made to the code they worked with and why I made them. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time in the labs to cover more advanced topics like watchdog timers, timestamping, and power management. That would need to be saved for future workshops. After the discussion, we packed up our supplies and headed out to the site.